Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:41:33 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@stud.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        Soeren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA tags bug fix committed to -releng4

--+QahgC5+KEYLbs62

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Soeren Schmidt wrote:

> It seems Matthias Andree wrote:
> > Soeren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk> writes:
> >=20
> > > I've just committed a fix for the tags problem, so please those=20
> > > that had this problem, test it out and let me know...
> >=20
> > hw.ata.tags=3D"1" now works for me and my IBM-DTLA 307045.
> >=20
> > To give it a try, I hacked ata-disk.c to allow tagged queueing on my WDC
> > AC420440D (it's said to be a IBM DJNA clone), it would write "TAGGED" on
> > scanning and would work to some extent but then give me strange crashes
> > later that the system would not really recover from, I presume it is
> > reading bogus data sometimes.
>=20
> Hmm, the IBM DJNA series is broken tags wise, it "forgets" an outstanding
> request from time to time. My AC29100D that is a clone of the DJNA
> doesn't work as well..

One should think that IBM is shipping firmware updates then...

Should I bother to bug WDC about a new firmware for the AC420400D or
will they tell me to get lost and buy a current drive?

Can this condition "forgot a request" be detected and worked around
somehow?

> However I seem to be able to make tags work on the older IBM DTTA
> series of drives, according to IBM tags should work if transfers
> are kept under 64k...

Hum. I presume it would not help my 486 with an UMC chip set... (which
uses "BIOSPIO", not some DMA mode)

Thanks,

--=20
Matthias Andree