Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:55:30 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        dave <dmehler22@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: configuring a pnp modem under fbsd 4?

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 09:19:41PM -0400, dave wrote:
> Hello,
>     Has the pnp code changed from v 3.4 to v4.0 of fbsd? I had my
> modem working under fbsd 3.4, but since upgrading it no longer is.
> I've dropped in my 3.4 kernel.conf file, which I saved, to no avail.
> If anyone can help or has succeeded in getting a pnp modem working
> under fbsd 4, please let me know. Thanks.

What is the output of pnpinfo(1)? I had the same problem. It was
explained to me that 4.x was much more "PnP oriented" than 3.x and
that the reason my modem worked under 3.x but not 4.x was because the
sio probe found it. Under 4.x it needs to be found by the PnP probe.

The upshot of this is that you will probably have to add a line to
sio.c and re-build your kernel. The output from pnpinfo provides the
required data. This is how I did it with mine:

	 # pnpinfo
	 Checking for Plug-n-Play devices...

	 Card assigned CSN #1
	 Vendor ID PMC2430 (0x3024a341), Serial Number 0xffffffff
	 PnP Version 1.0, Vendor Version 0
	 Device Description: Pace 56 Voice Internal Plug & Play Modem

	 [snip]

From the above in info you construct the line:

  {0x3024a341, NULL},     /* PMC2430 - Pace 56 Voice Internal Modem */

and add it to the isa_pnp_id sio_ids[] struct in
/usr/src/sys/isa/sio.c (around line 550). Note that the list is sorted
by the Vendor ID (PMC2430 in my case). Don't forget to back up sio.c!

Now re-build your kernel and reboot.

If it works OK submit a PR using send-pr(1) including a diff and it
will be added to the source.

HTH

--
  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?