Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 11:15:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Ryan Kelley <kelleyry@bc.edu>
Cc:        Alex Popa <razor@ldc.ro>, freebsd-security <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: xinetd versus inetd

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Ryan Kelley wrote:

> I could be wrong (it's happened before) but as far as i know the main
> difference is that inetd is subject to DoS attacks, as it will suck up as much
> memory as it wants filling requests. xinetd prevents against this. on a
> semi-related note, where's tcpserver in this equation, and is anyone running
> non-qmail services in tcpserver?
>   -ryan

I used to run tcpserver, but soon realized that xinetd could perform all
the same important functions, and was much easier to configure.

I don't think any modern inetd is as susceptible to resource exhaustion
attacks as the tcpserver page will lead you to believe, but running xinetd
does seem wise, as you can tune the various resource limits quite exactly.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack