Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 1996 15:08:43 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: some RAID numbers.

>On Sun, 21 Jan 1996, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>

>> >Adjile RAID box, 5 Fuji 4GB disks, RAID 5, verify off (on cache), 8MB cache
>.
>> >
>> >P5120, 64MB RAM, FBSD 2.1 stable (supped 1/21), Adapter 2940UW, tag enabled
>.
>>
>> How many tags?  The default is only two unless you play around with the
>> stuff around QUEUE_FULL_SUPPORTED in i386/scsi/aic7xxx.c
>
>Whatever is default, I didn't touch anything other than the kernel config
>file.

Try bumping it to 8.  It would be interresting to see what impact it
has on your performance. ( make the appropriate line +=6 instead of +=2
inside the QUEUE_FULL_SUPPORTED stuff).

>> <Benchmarks deleted>
>>
>> These numbers seem rather low.  What is the performance of the individual
>> fujitsu drives.  Running bonnie on a single Quantum Atlas will blow
>> these numbers away.  Are you doing RAID 5?  Even with RAID 5, I would
>> still expect much better numbers.
>
>Well, I ran raid 0, and it hauled butt.  These numbers compare pretty
>well with a RAID box we have on an alpha under OSF with a mylex card.
>I've never seen a RAID 5 that can do better than single spindle speed, it
>would seem difficult to do, given the read write cycle.

I take it you have spindle sync enabled and have played with the rotational
offsets for the drives (how far behind the master a drive is)?  Rod would
have more information on how to do this optimally(rgrimes@FreeBSD.org).

I would expect for a RAID 5 box to give much higher performance than
a single drive.  Calculation of parity can be overlapped with the
SCSI controller's transfer of data to the RAID box.  Of course you
do lose 1/5 of your bandwidth, but even so, reads should be as fast
as a 4 disk RAID 0 box (no parity calculartions unless there is an
error retriving data from a drive) and writes should only be some
fraction slower than a 4 disk RAID 0 setup.

>Note also that I did say the FS was partially used, nor was the box
>completely idle. (although there were no processes accessing that
>controller/card other than mine.
>
>I'd like to see the output from bonnie, just so I have some comparisons.
>I have a barracuda with a 2940, and I don't see much better numbers.

I don't have an Atlas, but there are many people on this list that
do.  Hopefully one of them will give more exact numbers.  I don't
recall the Bonnie results, but iozone for a 2940W to a wide Atlas
was ~7.2MB/s with a command overhead of ~430us (using Bruce's
disklatency program).

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations