Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 03:05:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Just Another Victim of the Danish Usenet Afrydder-Mafia <barry@marley.mendelu.cz>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        wkb@chello.nl
Subject:   Re: Soundblaster PCI 128 support in 4-stable

On 23 Jun 19100 cj@vallcom.net wrote:

> >> what is the support status for a Soundblaster PCI 128 card? Need to buy a
> >
> > I've got a soundblaster PCI 128 and it works beautifully on 3.5-S. Mine's an
> > older one with the es1370 chipset. The newer ones have the es1371 (or 1373?)
> > chipset in them but I do believe that 4.0-S has got support for these
>
> Yes I can confirm that. Im using a SB PCI 128 with the newer es1371

Here's a problem that I've noticed a few times, and it just
happened again a few minutes ago, so I'm not imagining things.

I've had no problems with the es1371-based PCI 128 for playback.
I'm using it for recording, to do live audio streaming, for which
my experiences with FreeBSD-4.*/5.* as of a couple months ago
have not been so good (all sound cards give me some amount of a
staticky noise), while 3.4 has worked fine and is currently my choice
for production audio OS.

The problem that I'm seeing is that after some number of hours
(today just a bit under two days), I completely stop getting any
PCM sound data out of the card.  I've never seen this problem
with the PCI 16 or several other SB 16-like cards, only the 128
(with 1371), and it happens with both the 128s I've used.

At first I thought it was hardware, but I've seen the same thing
in several machines ranging from cheap PCs to HP NetSwervers,
regardless of card combination or slot.  And I see it not only
today with 3.4 but also previously with an older 5.0.  I just
haven't run it long enough under NetBSD to verify there are no
problems there.

I have no idea what could be the cause of this.  I'm using a
slightly hacked `bplay/brec' to do my sound grabbing on all
machines with all cards, and it's only the 128 where I see this.
All the other cards I use record for months without any problems.
After I stop getting any data from the card, there's nothing I
have been able to do save rebooting the machine to get it to
record again.  I think it still plays -- at least, mpg123 shows
ever-increasing frame numbers, but I'm not at the machine now
to hear the audio output.

I'll need to try this a few more times to see if this problem
always occurs after the same length of time (about 46 hours
this time) with a particular sample rate (44,1kHz 16-bit stereo),
as well as to run it for a longer time with NetBSD to see if I
have a similar problem there.

One of these things that just has me puzzled...

barry bouwsma, tele danmark internet department of pointless play