Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 2010 23:31:58 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geom_label and directories under /dev

Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

> What you described are bugs in devfs that should be fixed in devfs and
> not worked around by limiting GEOM flexibility. Allowing '/' in labels
> is very useful. Not only labels, you can do the same with gmirror(8),
> gstripe(8), etc. although with glabel(8) it is more important.

But it's a name, an identifier. It's like saying "*" can suddenly be a
part of a C variable name.

Besides, there are special cases to consider - what about names
containing successive slashes and possibly C escape sequences? I say -
sanitize it completely, leave either 7-bit ASCII or UTF-8 (but in both
cases strip slashes and characters < 0x20).