Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 1995 08:05:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: kern/577: SLIP requires `ifconfig up' now

As David Greenman wrote:

>    Actually, you probably do want the "ifconfig up", as this has the effect
> of immediately propagating the new routing information to down-stream hosts
> (assuming there are any).

There are none in this case, but at least with gated, it did already
work with the previous version.  Perhaps this is due to gated's habit
of scanning all interfaces every 20 seconds however.

> >Apparently, the interface isn't marked automatically `up' by slattach.
>
>    Actually, the process of converting the interface to a SLIP device should
> set it up. I really don't like the 'up' flag not tracking the state of the
> interface. Perhaps if it was set 'up' only if the interface was a SLIP device,
> would this be okay?

I'm not so concerned about my own configuration.  Now that i know that
a simple `ifconfig up' line would do, i can do it.  But'ya know, i'm
doing much Usenet support these days, and i consider breaking the
existing behaviour not a Good Thing.  You should know how many people
are complaining about their ed-driver boards no longer working, ``but
they used to work with 2.0R''. :-( They didn't even read the hardware
docs, Jordan has been explaining the change in the IRQ handling of the
`ed' driver there.

For me, any change that would restore the existing behaviour will be
okay.  I can either think of marking the interface up with if_up()
[sp?] or also modifying slattach instead to do it itself.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/