Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 09:30:09 +1000 (EST)
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (bsd)
Subject:   getting pppd to work?

I can't believe this thing is so difficult to get working!
I have a couple of scripts given to me by a kind soul, that look like they
should work. They work for him in fact.

On my machine, the modem just sits there looking back at me. The port is
ok, the modem is ok, "cu -l /dev/cuaa0 dir" connects fine and I can even use
that to dial the ISP, but when I try to use the pppd scripts. nada! zilch,
zero, nothing!

This is the script donated to me, which I appreciate very much, but getting
that modem to respond...  it seems to be simply ignoring pppd. Which by the
way I have in the kernel, compiled in already.
In fact, now that I mention it, ppp client doesn't work either.
ppp simplesite, just sits there, ignoring the modem.
The Handbook is NO help for pppd.
I'm using a Hayes Optima 28.8 on this.

Someone out there must have some idea why this baby wont kick in. please?

cheers,
Robert

In rc.local:
------------------
echo "Starting ppp daemon"
/etc/ppp/ppp0.start &

---------------------

/etc/ppp/ppp0.start is:
=======================
#!/bin/sh
#
# PPPD Auto-Dialer script
#
# Note:

#  You *MUST* use -detach mode or else the pppd process will fork
#  into the background and you will get hundreds of pppd processes
#trying
#  to connect to the remote site.  The current behavior causes the line
#  re-dial when pppd fails, so it acts like a auto-dialer.
#
DEVICE=cuaa1

while `true`; do
    /usr/sbin/pppd -detach \
        connect 'chat -v -f /etc/ppp/isp.chat' $DEVICE 115200
    # If we fail, wait a little while for the line to settle down
    sleep 5
done
=======================

/etc/ppp/isp.chat is:
-----------------------
ABORT "NO CARRIER" ABORT BUSY "" A\pA\pA\pT OK ATZ0 OK
ATM1&C1&D2S95=3&W0 OK ATDT19995551234 CONNECT
 "" ogin: mumble1 ssword: mumble2
-------------------------
note!  this should be all on one line!  Your Modem May Vary!  This is
for a Cardinal 28.8 V.34.  ATDT19995551234 is your isp phone number.
And the last part is the login and password.
---------------------------

Finally /etc/ppp/options is:
debug
modem
crtscts
name catfish.progroup.com
remotename gw-3.isp.net
defaultroute

chalmers.com.au: P.O. Box 2003. Mackay. 4740   		   +61-0412-079025
robert@chalmers.com.au for Whirled Peas		http://www.chalmers.com.au
Location: The Great Australian Content Site.		21'7" S, 149'14" E.