Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2013 10:46:38 +0200
From:      Marcus von Appen <mva@FreeBSD.org>
To:        python@freebsd.org, portmgr@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] lang/python becoming a python binary wrapper

--xgyAXRrhYN0wYx8y

The diff at http://people.freebsd.org/~mva/python-wrapper.diff was
updated to include additional symlinks to bin/XXXX{2|3}, since those
were missing in the previous patch, which could break some ports that
use e.g. bin/python2 or bin/python3 on build time.

One minor issue remains:

lang/python right now deals only with either python2.X OR python3.X.
This means that, if you have set 2.x as PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION and are
going to install a python 3.x port, lang/python will not create a
bin/python3 symlink.

This can become an annoying inconsistency. The cleanest approach might be
to create a lang/python3 meta port, which handles the different python
3.x versions correctly and either move lang/python to lang/python2 (for
naming) or let lang/python deal only with the python2.X ports.

To avoid unwanted side effects, I would go for lang/python3 and let
lang/python deal with python2.X ports only.

I'll create a lang/python3 meta port and, if everything works as
expected and the impact on the ports tree is as low as possible, will
commit it on the next weekend after the the 9.2 branch.

Comments?

Cheers
Marcus

--xgyAXRrhYN0wYx8y