Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 17:42:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        dave@kachina.jetcafe.org, freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940UW problems

 * I can stick it under an "if(bootverbose)" if it will make you happy.
 * If the device is a narrow device, its normal.  If not, its not.

Actually, I kinda miss the "16-bit transfer" message that used to be
printed out for wide drives.  Some Adaptec cards seem to be shipped
with "initiate wide negotiation" set to off (then why is it the
"factory default???") and it helped us catch those when we were
swapping cards in and out.  ("Hmm, how come we're only getting 9MB/s
from the second bus???")

Maybe we can revert the logic back to the old days, then nobody will
complain.

Satoshi