Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 12:08:45 -0500
From:      "Galella, Anthony" <anthony.galella@intel.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   cdrom dev disables on boot, how can I reset

I am running a Dell Poweredge 6400 with dual PIII/XEON 550's and FBSD
4.5-RELEASE
So far, everything works ok except the cdrom drive doesn't cooperate.

The SCSI cdrom drive gets disabled on boot if there is no disk in the drive.
I have to reboot with any cd disc in the drive when this happens to
re-enable the device.
Is there a way I can re-enable the device without rebooting?

Below is dmesg output when the device gets disabled (no cd disc in the drive
on boot):

cd0 at ahc2 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
cd0: <NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:466 1.06> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd0: 20.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15)
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

Thanks.
Anthony J. Galella
anthony.galella@intel.com