Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 1997 08:57:45 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status and future of sound drivers ?

> The audio is fairly reasonable (if you're talking about access to the
> DSP) and the music support generally sucks. :)

my personal experience is limited to audio only, and it is quite
different. Out of the 4 audio (SB clones and some WSS ones) boards
I have, only the oldest one (a discontinued unit) is usable with
FreeBSD and in SB mode only.  I am specially concerned about this
since I'd like to try out/develop some audioconferencing stuff and
with the current drivers I cannot even set up two machines!

> Well it's not, so whomever takes over audio, I'd hope they'd also pay
> some attention to the music support. :-)

But the audio people might have no interest in music stuff and
viceversa. Of course if some fixes come out for free, they will
certainly show up. But, personally, I would not spend a single hour
on fixing fm synthesis etc -- I don't have the knowledge, time,
interest to work on it.

> OK.  Well, since the audio code is, as I said before, abandoned at
> this time then I guess that leaves...  You?  Can Luigi Rizzo fill
> Amancio Hasty's shoes?  ;-)

I'll see what I can do. My plans are to do a cleanup of the drivers,
take away all non-freebsd code, and possibly get rid of all the
"EXCLUDE_THIS" "INCLUDE_THAT" "SPECIAL_CODE_FOR_MY_BROTHERS_CARD"
things, and try to make this working with WSS and SB boards.

I'll try not to break existing support in the meantime, but I cannot
give guarantees.

I'll make the code available as soon as possible.

	Luigi