Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2000 13:02:02 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/15822: Update port misc/HomeDaemon to V0.99

On Sat, Jan 01, 2000 at 12:42:28PM -0600, Steve Price wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Karl Denninger wrote:
>
> # Fine.  Your call, of course.  The code will and does live without you folks
> # - after all, it was never intended as a PORT in the first place.
>
> Neither were about 2900 programs but they made it into the ports
> collection. :)
>
> # Gee, you're assuming I keep PR numbers around in some kind of database.
>
> You don't have to.  We do that for you already.  All you have to do
> is go to this URL, type in your name in the Originator field, and
> click the Query PR's button.

Thanks; wasn't aware of that one.

> 	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi?query
>
> # I don't.  I made a contribution; if the [Gods of FreeBSD Ports] don't want it,
> # then fine - reject it and be done with it.  If you do want it then commit it
> # and be done with it.
>
> Noone said we didn't want the port or your software.  We also don't
> have any Ports Gods, though we do have one resident Wraith. :)

:-)

> Just for reference Karl, I am a committer and the GNATS database
> administrator.  I am a human contrary to some's beliefs that I
> am some form of assembly code.  As I said I can speak only for
> myself and not the FreeBSD Project.  Feel free to call me on
> anything I've done in the interest of FreeBSD that you take
> deference to.
>
> No doubt your port will be committed (possibly with a few changes)
> in the near future, but noone can give you an exact time.  We do
> our best, but we all have lifes oustide of FreeBSD to tend to.
>
> -steve

I'm perfectly fine with you Steve - while you may think I "went after" you,
I in fact didn't (and didn't mean to).  Will, on the other hand, I did - he
categorically rejected design decisions I made for *very valid* reasons,
without taking the time or effort to understand them (and the reasons ARE
there, in the package's README file), and when I tried to explain again
I got no reply back.

This isn't a piece of hackery on my part - this package literally runs my
entire home.  In fact, with the exception of the guest bedrooms and a few
other places where visitors would be literally astonished (and perhaps
freak out) its influence is nearly ubiquous here at my house.  It has also
garnered a rather significant following (although perhaps the majority of
users are Linux folks) in that its one of the few packages for this purpose
that can talk not only to the "common" X10 stuff but also to Applied Digital's
hard-wired analog and digital I/O devices - a big bonus that most of the other
packages for this purpose do not have.

There are many applications that don't suit themselves to powerline-carrier
control for reliability reasons - the hard-wired capability pretty much
solves that issue.

This port may in fact need NO_PACKAGE set in the Makefile, at least for
now.  I suspect that building a package is probably a bad choice due to
the fact that as things stand (as of 0.99) there is a compile-time switch
that has to be set depending on the version of code you have from Dan
Lancini (the guy who wrote the interface piece that this package needs
to talk to the CM11A).  If you're considering committing the port you
might just want to go ahead and make that addition - I suspect its
the "right choice", at least for the time being.

That little gem showed up a couple of days ago in the form of a bug report
from a user who had some really bizarre stuff going on - on investigation
I found an internal protocol change that Dan had made (and which I had
incorrectly evaluated as having no effect on my software several months
ago).

BTW, the "submit followup" button is worthless to me on the web interface
to GNATS, as I don't do Microsoft-style mail things, and the "mailto" link
tries to reference something (mailto:) that I don't have set up.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)  Web: http://childrens-justice.org
Isn't it time we started putting KIDS first?  See the above URL for
a plan to do exactly that!