Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 1996 09:41:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: .forward and sendmail?

Charles Henrich wrote:

> Explain to me how exactly sendmail is supposed to read .forward's out of
> peoples directories, when it apparently runs as daemon?  I have had zero luck
> with this unless the directories are world read, as well as the .forward, this
> is unusual!  What am I missing here?

	check the permissions on your sendmail.  sendmail needs to run as root
	for several reasons.  it needs to read people's .forward file
	regardless of the permissions.  it needs to append to people's
	mailboxes.  it needs to bind port 25.   any others?

	-r-sr-sr-x  3 root  kmem  245760 Mar 10 18:25 /usr/sbin/sendmail
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/