Date:      Tue, 06 Oct 1998 17:22:48 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Laurence Morell, MIS Coordinator" <nchcvt@sover.net>
Subject:   Re: HP Netserver

On Tue, 06 Oct 1998 16:21:33 -0400, Laurence Morell, MIS Coordinator
wrote:

>Our HR dept. has offered to donate an HP Netserver/66 LC for use as a
>central SMTP
>server for the corporation. We've been considering FreeBSD; however
>according
>to several FAQ items, there are some problems related to the built in
>SCSI adapter
>as well as with using a `dangerously' dedicated hard drive. Are these
>issues still
>viewed as problematic; should we graciously refuse the offer ?

I'm assuming HR means Human Resources, and if that's the case, take the
hardware.  Besides grief, what did you ever expect to get from HR ;o)

Seriously, even if the built in SCSI controller is not supported or not
adequately supported, you can probably disable it and throw in a low
cost (<$100) adapter that IS supported.  And dangerously dedicated
merely means it doesn't use a partition table, making it problematic if
you also want to run other PC OSes.  I had a problem with an IDE
controller and a drive larger than 1GB, and it wouldn't boot as
"dangerously dedicated", so I installed it not dangerously dedicated.
I may have given up too soon, but I didn't really care. It works now...

There may or may not be other issues with this particular piece of
hardware.  But keep in mind, if you can disable any piece, you can
"replace" it with known hardware.

In short, what are you waitin' for.
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.