Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 18:51:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick@kris.wpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Toshiba Tecra 550 int. modem, addendum II

> > Sure, the Satellite 440, 460, 470, 480; Tecra 500, 510, 520, 530, 710,
> > 720, 730, 730X, 740; and the Portege 650 and 600 are models which
> > include non-winmodems.
>
> Looks to me like the 550 has a WinModem.

I just talked to three different departments in Toshiba, and they all said
that the 550 doesn't have a Winmodem.  They couldn't give me any technical
information or programming specs, but they did put in a request with the
engineering dept. to have someone contact me.

Digging on their site, I found some technical information.  The modem is
a 56kflex, don't know the manufacturer.  They say it conflicts with the
3Com Megahertz XJEM3336 ethernet/modem combo card.  One scary thing is
that using the BIOS, you select two different IRQ's.  Why, I don't know.

According to one source, SCO supports Toshiba laptops and I heard their
driver works, but I might be misinformed.  It may be a lead, however.

The Tecra 550's internal modem is the same modem in the Tecra 780, Tecra
750, and the Satellite 320.  So does that help anybody?  If I can somehow
get some technical information, I don't mind writing the driver...  :)

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy                  mailto: rick@kris.wpi.edu