Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 18:53:27 -0700
From:      "Hervey Wilson" <herveyw@dynamic-cast.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Perl 5.003 / 5.6 / CPAN

On my FreeBSD 4.2 Release system I want to obtain some Perl packages that do
not appear to be available in ports. Concerned that this might be
problematic, I did a search of the mailing lists and found a recent
recommendation to use CPAN directly rather than the ports collection for
Perl modules. I fired up 'perl -MCPAN -e shell' and there were a few things
that it wanted to update, primarily Bundle::CPAN. I let it go ahead until I
spotted it downloading Perl 5.6 which I was a little concerned about so I
stopped the download.

I checked the ports version of Perl5 (5.6) but this contains the strong
warning that the package is FORBIDDEN because of conflicts with the Perl5 in
the base system. I searched for information on upgrading the base system to
Perl 5.6, found a few people that had asked, but didn't find any responses.

My questions are:

- Has anyone successfully installed the ports collection version of Perl
(5.6) ?
- If so, can you provide any hints / tips to avoid problems ?
- If I do a "make world" will the 5.6 version get trashed ?
- Is Perl 5.6 in the upcoming 4.3 release ?

Thanks in advance,
Hervey.