Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 12:24:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        Žoršur Ivarsson <totii@est.is>, "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: weird IP address

> > We have virtual domains here and they have logical reason, but not
> > someone using reseved (assigned) address is not ethical.
>
> Ethics have nothing to do with it.

Of course, anyone running a DNS which is authortitative for a particular
domain can have address records pointing to wherever they want.  However,
I think that the internet depends to some extent on people running DNS
servers to act in a responsible manner.  I think ethics does have
something to do with it.

If Sanford Wallace decided to have www.cyberpromo.com point to a machine I
own, I *would* be concerned.  And it wouldn't be ethical.

Charles Mott