Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 2009 00:52:49 +0200
From:      Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pam_passwdqc update to latest vendor release

Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 11:15:30AM +0200, Leonidas Tsampros wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I read a mail on this list 3 or 4 weeks saying/stating that pam_passwdqc
>> was out of date. To update the module I used the vendor release 1.0.5
>> which can be found here
>>
>> http://www.openwall.com/pam/modules/pam_passwdqc/pam_passwdqc-1.0.5.tar.gz
>>
>> The patch is available here:
>>
>> http://bifteki.podzone.org/~ltsampros/pam_passwdc.diff
>>
>> And a summary of the patch:
>>
>> M       contrib/pam_modules/pam_passwdqc/INTERNALS
>> M       contrib/pam_modules/pam_passwdqc/LICENSE
>> M       contrib/pam_modules/pam_passwdqc/Makefile
>> M       contrib/pam_modules/pam_passwdqc/PLATFORMS
>> M       contrib/pam_modules/pam_passwdqc/README
>> M       contrib/pam_modules/pam_passwdqc/pam_macros.h
>> M       contrib/pam_modules/pam_passwdqc/pam_passwdqc.c
>> A       contrib/pam_modules/pam_passwdqc/pam_passwdqc.map
>> M       contrib/pam_modules/pam_passwdqc/pam_passwdqc.spec
>> M       contrib/pam_modules/pam_passwdqc/passwdqc.h
>> M       contrib/pam_modules/pam_passwdqc/passwdqc_check.c
>> M       contrib/pam_modules/pam_passwdqc/passwdqc_random.c
>> M       lib/libpam/modules/pam_passwdqc/pam_passwdqc.8
>>
>> I built the updated module on my system. I did some testing with the
>> default options in /etc/pam.d/passwd and it seems to work okey.
>>
>> Feedback is welcome.
>

> Thanks for updating pam_passwdqc. I couldn't find the time to update it
> myself.
>
> It works for me, though the patch doesn't apply cleanly:
>
> Hmm...  The next patch looks like a unified diff to me...
> The text leading up to this was:
> --------------------------
> |diff --git a/lib/libpam/modules/pam_passwdqc/pam_passwdqc.8 b/lib/libpam/modules/pam_passwdqc/pam_passwdqc.8
> |index 408f77d..8247652 100644
> |--- a/lib/libpam/modules/pam_passwdqc/pam_passwdqc.8
> |+++ b/lib/libpam/modules/pam_passwdqc/pam_passwdqc.8
> --------------------------
> Patching file lib/libpam/modules/pam_passwdqc/pam_passwdqc.8 using Plan A...
> Hunk #1 succeeded at 1.
> Hunk #2 failed at 32.
> Hunk #3 succeeded at 53.
> Hunk #4 succeeded at 67.
> Hunk #5 succeeded at 80.
> Hunk #6 succeeded at 98.
> Hunk #7 succeeded at 128.
> Hunk #8 succeeded at 144.
> Hunk #9 succeeded at 173.
> Hunk #10 succeeded at 191.
> Hunk #11 succeeded at 233.
> Hunk #12 succeeded at 257.
> 1 out of 12 hunks failed--saving rejects to lib/libpam/modules/pam_passwdqc/pam_passwdqc.8.rej
> done

You are right! I did my testing using a local clone from
git://gitorious.org/freebsd/freebsd.git and the patch applied cleanly
there.

I broke up the patch in two files. You can find them here:

http://bifteki.podzone.org/~ltsampros/pam_passwdqc.8.diff

This is the patch for the man page under
lib/libpam/modules/pam_passwdqc. It should apply cleanly now.

http://bifteki.podzone.org/~ltsampros/pam_passwdqc.diff

This is the patch for the module itself under
contrib/pam_modules/pam_passwdqc. It should apply cleanly too using
patch -p1.