Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:44:16 -0500
From:      "JoeB" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Michael Sierchio" <kudzu@tenebras.com>
Cc:        "Nick Rogness" <nick@rogness.net>, "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk>, <freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Error in ipfw manpage for stateful rules?

OK thanks for admitting that the subtleties in integrating natd and
stateful ipfirewall rules,
aren't covered in the examples. Also this little quote from your
email response "Also note:  it is documented but frequently
forgotten that nat'd packets, or any packets passed via DIVERT, lose
information -- such as which interface the packet was received on."
Causes me a great amount of concern. I would think the divert code
needs to be fixed to correct this problem, why has it not be
corrected.
I believe the subject to this thread is dealing with changing the
examples and documentation to deal with getting IPFW/NATD/KEEP-STATE
rules to play together correctly.  So how about you helping me
develop an example rules set that works. As you can see I have 2
conversations running under this subject. The other one has my
keep-state rules file that works perfectly when used with user
ppp -nat  so the nat function is done outside of IPFW. But when the
same rules set is used with the divert rule added all of a sudden it
no longer works because packets no longer match the dynamic rules
that were built.  Are you willing to give me a hand to correct this
oversight to the IPFW documentation and examples.