Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 21:39:08 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net (Nate Williams), hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Note from Usenet

> > Gleaned froma Linux mailing list.
> >
> > > About a week ago, Alan Cox commented that the networking code in 1.3.xx
> > > wasn't up to coping with the type of load that a WWW server would
> > > experience, and that 1.2.xx was a better choice for that application.
> >
> > Apparently Linux 1.3 with the re-written TCP/IP code still isn't up to
> > the task.
>
> Sheesh.  What it must have cost him to say _that_.  Bit of a pity, really.

And he's the author of the new code, so what he says is most definitely
an unbiased opinion.  I saw some other notes on other articles that it
appears to be a problem with the new kernel malloc routines.  Apparently
the real-time extensions are getting in the way of the kernel being able
to service it's own internal memory requests for things like network
buffers and such.

Nate