Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 22:13:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Paul Halliday <dp@dove.penix.org>
To:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   PC164 typical

Hi

	After a long and arduous move I have finally spared some time to
play with my pc164, again. Kernel is 4.6 and ports are as of hmm.. last
week. Has anyone managed to build gnome on this system as of this date?
Make is fine, install however seems to die on gtkhtml.

pointers?

	On a side note, I think that there might be a chance that I have
some bad ram. In fact, maybe disks. I have had some interesting cores
lately that are kinda out in right field. The ram is pretty new and the
disks although IDE seem to be alright ie. never had a problem with them
before. The problem in detail happens to be an issue with untar/zip
a large  file (they were backed up on a seperate box) onto any of the two
IDE disks that are installed in this machine. Basically they just slow down,
then halt, machine freezes, no errors.. hmm..

	On another side note.. why the hell does nfs (controlling
terminal) on a seperate machine get totally locked while in this state?
Should it not reset after a certain timeout or something?

Anyone care to elaborate?

Thanks.

Paul Halliday.

Now living free in the east coast ;)