Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 23:13:38 +0100
From:      Dirk Froemberg <dirk@freebsd.org>
To:        patrick@whetstonelogic.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/15857: new standalone port of php3 for ports/www

Hi Patrick!

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 01:17:07PM -0500, patrick@whetstonelogic.com wrote:
> On  3 Jan, Dirk Froemberg wrote:
> > We already have apache13-php[34] in the ports tree. So why put
> > another php port in?
> >
> > As far as I remember there were problems running php as a shared
> > apache module. That is why apache13-php3 started with a compiled
> > in php module. I don't know if this has changed, yet.
> >
> > Your port hasn't support for any additional php modules such as
> > database etc. So IMHO it isn't ready for real world applications.
> >
> > So I'd like to close your PR but keep the idea of a shared php
> > module in mind...
>
> Two reasons:  1)  To parallel the mod_perl port standalone we have, and
> 2) to allow for building multiple mods into Apache apart from the
> standard ones in ports/www.

There wasn't a apache13-modperl, so mod_perl didn't conflict with an
existing port like mod_php would conflict with apache13-php3.

> My normal config for web servers is mod_perl, modssl, php3, jserv.  Now
> jserv and mod_perl have separate ports, so why not php3?

This can be done with the apache13-php3, apache-jserv and mod_perl ports.

> I did not know of any problems with the shared php3 apache module (php
> suggests this type of install), and it's been running fine like this on
> my servers for a few weeks now.  Maybe we haven't hit the bugs.

Maybe these problems are gone, now. I haven't checked it recently.

> [...]
> What do you think?  I'm fine without the port, but thought others might
> have been in the same situation, and like it.

I'd still like not to import mod_php. I'd prefer to strip down
apache13-php3 to mod_php eventually someday. (I hope this is possible
at all. Some PHP extensions must be statically linked. But this
can be tested of course.)

But let's see if someone else joins the discussion before I start shooting
around... ;-)

	Regards Dirk

--
Dirk Froemberg