Date:      24 Nov 2001 16:03:58 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Add an "Other resources" section to the problem reports article

Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> writes:

> Also, I removed the dot after the 'G' in Simon G. Tatham, since some
> browsers place additional whitespace after it.

That seems a poor reason to violate standard English.  Browsers should
REMOVE whitespace after it, like Netscape does.  But you're doin' the
work, so I can't complain (much).

BTW, Harry S Truman's name was not Harry S. Truman (if periods mean
anything).  He said his middle name was a compromise between the
competing names of grandparents.  He often used a period in his
signature and the "U.S. Government Printing Office Style Manual"
recommends its use in his name.

"The Chicago Manual of Style" suggests use of the period even for
single-letter middle names.

Cf. http://www.trumanlibrary.org/speriod.htm

P.S. Thanks for the reply about "penv".