Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 15:48:18 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, phk@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bit 7 in filenames

>     The symbolic link succeeds unless:

>     [ENOTDIR]
>	       A component of the name2 prefix is not a directory.

>     [EINVAL]  Either name1 or name2 contains a character with the high-order
>	       bit set.

>HUH ????

This anachronism is in most of the man pages for system calls that involve
path names.

>Actually there should be an error return, if I try to make a filename
>that is illegal for the filesystem.

>For instance
>	create("/msdosfs/foo:bar")
>is an invalid name...

It's not invalid for msdosfs :-). :-(.  Neither is creat("/msdosfs/a2345678:
this is a very long not to mention invalid msdos path.name", 0666).
<sys/unistd.h> falsely advertises that _POSIX_NO_TRUNC is 1 (no-trunc for
_all_ supported file systems) and man pages misspell
pathconf("/mountpoint", _PC_NAME_MAX) as 255.

Bruce