Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 06:08:09 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Ilya <mail@krel.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: umax astra scsi scanner

Hi Ilya,

> can i use Umax Astra 1220S (scsi) scanner in FreeBsd?
According to http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html it should
work. I'm using an Umax S-12, which is an predecessor of yours. So
your chances are good.

> kernel sees it as:
> pass4 at ahc0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
> pass4: <UMAX Astra 1220S V1.2> Fixed Scanner SCSI-2 device
> pass4: 3.300MB/s transfers

Make sure you have the appropriate device /dev/pass4 . If not create
it with the MAKEDEV script in /dev

> but i dont see any drivers for scanners in LINT (except one hand scanner).

I have in my kernel config (stripped to SCSI related):

device          cd              #SCSI CD-ROMs
device          da              #SCSI direct access devices (aka
disks)
device          pass            #CAM passthrough driver
device          scbus           #base SCSI code
device          sym             # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets)

The last line must fit your SCSI controller of course. If you only
have your scanner as SCSI device, you can omit the cd and da options.

The scanner driver itself is provided by the sane program, not the
kernel. If you prefer a graphical interface, install xsane, too (
/usr/ports/graphics/xsane will install sane and xsane in one step). If
there is gimp on your system, this will even include a plugin for
gimp, so you can scan directly out of gimp.

Ciao
Siegbert