Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 2015 05:38:35 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with fusefs-ntfs port

I've been having trouble with fusefs-ntfs on a Seagate BackupPlus hard drive, 5 TB, external USB 3.0.

It wouldn't mount with ntfs-3g, but I was apparently able to copy (ntfscat) the files one-by-one, very inelegant and quite unworkable for anything other than a small number of files in a simple directory structure.

Trying to mount Seagate BackupPlus with ntfs-3g /dev/da0s1 /media/zip0

fuse: failed to open fuse device: No such file or directory

Showing this device really exists with
gpart show da0

=>        63  1220942582  da0  MBR  (4.5T)
          63        1985       - free -  (7.8M)
        2048  1220940597    1  ntfs  [active]  (4.5T)

Now ls /media shows, to prove the mount point exists:

zip0
zip1
zip2

But ntfsls proves /dev/da0s1 exists:  ntfsls -l /dev/da0s1 produces

      40 Jul  1 07:26 2014 Autorun.inf
  562718 Jul  1 07:26 2014 BackupPlusDeskIcon.ico
       0 Jul  1 07:26 2014 Seagate
131685492 Jul  1 07:26 2014 Seagate Dashboard Installer.dmg
159169664 Jul  1 07:26 2014 Seagate Dashboard Installer.exe
 1114848 Jul  1 07:26 2014 Warranty.pdf

Then I was able to mount the home directory,
mkdir /home/BackupPlus
mkdir /home/BackupPlus/Seagate

and then

ntfscat /dev/da0s1 Autorun.inf > /home/BackupPlus/Autorun.inf
  and so on with the other files, putting the Dashboard installer files in
  /home/BackupPlus/Seagate

I went to tuxera.com website, but got no further information than I get from the fusefs-ntfs man pages.

I believe NTFS is a moving target, subject to updates/improvements by Microsoft that can rock the boat for open-source developers who try to provide access to NTFS.

I could see the FreeBSD ports version of fusefs-ntfs is up-to-date with upstream
tuxera.com/opensource

Tom