Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 1995 15:51:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A call for DNS secondaries to server for <dom>.freebsd.org

> I'm not sure what to do about the U.S. ftp servers except perhaps
> to be U.S.-centric about it and just use the freebsd.org domain space
> directly for U.S. resources.  Would people prefer to see ftp.us.freebsd.org?
> It would seem to be adding unnecessary complexity.

It's been in the back of my mind to grab the freebsd.org.uk domain since
I noticed Linux has one.

Do other countries have similar namespace conventions? We could get all
the freebsd.org.<country code> domains allocated. This would reduce
namserver load on freebsd.org's nameservers because the top level
domain queries would go to the countries org nameserver and not
freebsd.org's.  i.e queries to ftp.freebsd.org.uk will come to the uk.

What do you think? I can get the domain name and a name server sorted
out but not the actual mirror sites, not enough bandwidth.

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)