Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 12:24:49 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "ipfw add fwd ipaddr ip ..." syntax

--------------6ADAF43E4251E1C3DD157B38

Salut,

I don't think running natd and ipfw creates a big CPU load on a recent
machine : I've got a p5-200 runnning as a FW + NAT for a home network
and I go very seldom to more than 8-10 % of load (as indicated by
top(1)), even when downloading @ 250KB/s (when my cable connection works
fine ...)

I've got an ancient 386sx-16 which is doomed to become my future router
(as soon as I buy a 2nd ISA NIC) - and I expect it to forward at this
kind of rates ; there was a message hinting on this possibility :