Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 2009 07:36:38 GMT
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/141272: x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati and x11-drivers/xf86-video-radeonhd[-devel] freezes box with MSI HD4670

>Number:         141272
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati and x11-drivers/xf86-video-radeonhd[-devel] freezes box with MSI HD4670
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Using a MSI H4670 ATi/AMD compatible graphics board with my lab's FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE/amd64 box (based on Intel's Q6600 and ASUS' P5K-Premium motherboard with P35 chipset) I'm incapable of using either

x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati
x11-drivers/xf86-video-radeonhd (1.3.XX)
x11-drivers/xf86-video-radeonhddevel (1.3.XX)

Before x11-drivers/xf86-video-radeonhd has been update from version 1.2.XX to 1.3.XX last week I was able to run the graphics board with drivers from x11-drivers/xf86-video-radeonhd, but I needed DRI/EXA being disabled to have it properly work.
After the driver has been updated to x11-drivers/xf86-video-radeonhd  1.3.XX I receive the same state of my box as with x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati and x11-drivers/xf86-video-radeonhd-devel before (x11-drivers/xf86-video-radeonhd-devel was a long time version 1.3.XX before it got finalised).

The symptomes of the failure are quite similar in both ati and radeonhd when using EXA/DRI or ati or radeonhd V > 1.2.5 (i.e. 1.3):

Immediately after the driver switches into a higher resolution - means from console/terminal output to graphical output - the cursor-sprite gets a kind of 'striped' and distorted and immediately the whole box is frozen. In some cases in the past, with x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati, I was able to log in via XDM, but hwen WindowMaker showed up in some fancy colours, freezing was immediately present.
Today with the whole set of in-ports-offered drivers, either with or without DRI/EXA (I switched everything off by default) the box freezes immediately after switching from console to XDM-login or any graphical output. I can still remain in console mode for days without any trouble.

At this very moment he only workaround is using 'vesa' as driver, but with a 24" or even a 26" 1920x1200 display this is a real 'pain in the ass'.