Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 11:20:03 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
To:        pam@polynet.lviv.ua
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help, OSPF & weird gated messages

>Dear hackers,
>
>I know, it is not very suitable question, but I have asked it on
>questions and got no answers.
>
>I'm installing OSPF routers based on FreeBSD 2.1R and gated conncted
>by PPP (kernel PPP)
>when my link goes down and up again, OSPF tables aren't recalculated.
>Gated issues following messages:
>
> Aug 25 17:25:18 netsurfer gated[46]: task_set_option: task OSPF socket
>10 option GroupDrop(11) interface 192.168.0.3(le0) group 224.0.0.5:
>Can't assign requested address
>
>Aug 25 17:25:18 netsurfer gated[46]: task_set_option: task INET socket
>7 option GroupDrop(11) interface 192.168.0.3(le0) group 224.0.0.2:
>Can't assign requested address

Thats because gated and unix are both stupid, in that the UP flag has
nothing to do with the link state. If you drop the UP flag (as would make
sense), then gated thinks that the interface is not there and you have
muchos problemos. So the solution is to either:

- do manual route management from within the ppp code or...
- bring the interface down long enough for gated to clear the routes, and
then restart it.......

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX