Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 09:38:05 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <reyesf@super.zippo.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, "hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

Francisco Reyes scribbled this message on Dec 5:
> On Fri, 5 Dec 1997 16:13:39 +0800, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> >> I was wondering if there would be any problems with creating a script
> >> for some of the  steps of building a new kernel.
> >> config kern1
> >> cd ../../kern1
> >> make depend
> >> make all
> >> make install
>
> >Why not?  Of course, you could simplify it.
>
> The end user (ie me) gains nothing by typing more. On my new computer
> it doesn't take all that long, but I remember on my previous one
> things would take forever. The problem with running each line
> individually is that you can not start it before you go to bed and
> come and get the results in the morning.

why not simply use the && pipeline operator for this??  this is what
it is most commonly used for...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD