Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 12:42:16 +0100
From:      Dominique Jacquel <d.jacquel@ed.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.2 kernel panic: unable to mount root!

hi,

I am a total freeBSD newbie but have a fair background with linux!
I am encountering problems trying to install freeBSD 3.2 on my system.
The install seems to go all right but on reboot, it all goes wrong when
the kernel tries to mount /.
I get an error 22 "enable to mount root", followed by a panic! I tried
to define rootdev="disk1s3a" with no effect :-(

System:
-> biPII Iwill DBS100 motherboard with adaptec AIC7895 dual channel SCSI
controller.
-> disk0 on narrow channel A with a DOS partition containing the dist.
-> disk1 on wide channel B were I wish to install freeBSD.

During intall I create a slice for freeBSD on disk1.
I then make an automatic partition of this slice. As a result I get / on
da1s3a.
The rest of the install goes fine (as far as I can tell).
I choose not to install the boot loader since I want to dual boot with
NT using the C:\boot.ini + bootsect.bsd trick that I already use with my
linux partition.
At reboot, the kernel recognises everything fine .. it just can't mount
/!!
I looked into /disk1s3a/boot and found an empty loader.conf, which
sounds strange to me!

Are there variable I could define at the prompt to try to kickstart the
system?

thanks in advance for your help.
dom.