Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 1996 04:46:46 +0200 (EET)
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        hm@altona.hamburg.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi-Port Async Cards

   > >I've heard about bugs and problems with different driver.....but not much
   > >positive feedback. What is the "product of choice" for doing multi-port
   > >async dial-in with Freebsd....as of the moment?

   > Might I infer from the fact that no-one seems to have a (positive) opinion
   > about this that FreeBSD is a particularly bad choice for this and Linux
   > should be recommended?

   Also i contacted the german distributor for the Cyclades product line
   because i heard some good things about the product line. I was told,
   that the FreeBSD driver does not work good, but someone in Germany hacked
   a good running version - i could not locate him. I scanned the mail archives

The cyclades driver in -current works.  I have never tried cyb as it could
not find out under what license it was distributed.  It works better than
sio, it doesn't loose uarts after panics, and there is no apparent buffer
overflows (though these can be worked around with a simple patch).  We are
getting 1-2 panics per week for modem servers and practically none for
leased line routers.  Modem servers have nfs mounts, 32 ports per machine
and more OSPF traffic so I don't know whether panics can be attributed to
cy driver or something else.  For leased line routers FreeBSD seems to be
stable enough.  We currently have 3 32-port configurations (modems) or one
32 port one) and 3 16-port configurations (leased lines).

   for Cyclades and saw that there was some flameing going on about the cy
   driver and that someone else had written a driver which works but which
   needs mgetty. I don't like needing mgetty. Nothing against mgetty, but
   i want to get along with getty if i want. Other than this, the Cycaldes
   product looked very promising, but without a working driver ...

The -current driver did not work with mgetty some time ago, but I think
there already was a fix for that.  mgetty would be useful as it can
actively reply calls instead of modems answering automatically, thus
avoiding callers getting modem answer when the terminal server has crashed
and won't be there.

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@clinet.fi  work +358-0-4375209 fax -4555276 home -8031121