Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 23:45:07 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Style Wars

--On Thursday, September 27, 2001 18:52:15 -0700 Julian Elischer
<julian@elischer.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, John Baldwin wrote:
>
>> [ moved to -arch ]
>>
>> On 28-Sep-01 Julian Elischer wrote:
>> > well maybe We can come up with a tweek to the standard that we can
>> > all agree to...
>> > and commit.. It is after all a 'living' document..
>>
>> Certainly a viable option.  I've seen a couple of ideas so far:
>>
>> 1) Use two tabs instead of one when types longer than one tab such
>>    as u_int64_t are used.
>>    1a) Same as 1) but the tabs after after the type, not just the
>>        first word.
>
> In my experience this works best, but with the added thought that
> The aim is to get all the names to lign up as much as possible,
> so the tab occurs before the name (or "*").

Could we perhaps modify style to state intent rather than the method.

The intent here is to align the names; attempting to formulate a set method
is too rigid and causes people to leap up and down when style isn't
followed to the letter even when the outcome is not good looking code.

Can't we change the general tone of style to say things like

"names should be aligned for ease of readibility"

rather than the rigid "one tab after type" etc.

To avoid lots of whitespace problems there can be a general guidline that
"tabs will be used as much as possible and the tabstop is 8" or something
so that the previous statement that "names should be aligned" will lead to
the minimum number of tabs plus additional spacing being used to do the
alignment.

I think stating intent, rather than method will reduce a lot of the
quibbling over style issues because people will understand what's being
aimed for and won't bridle so much over dogmatic rules.

Paul Richards
FreeBSD Services Ltd
http://www.freebsd-services.com