Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2003 20:36:46 +1100
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        "Erik Torres Serrano" <erik.torres@cigb.edu.cu>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: NFS server vs YO (very long message)

At 01:43 AM 18/02/03, Erik Torres Serrano sent this up the stick:
>OK, after the weekend I'm here again.
>
>Those are the contents of my configuration files:
>
>1) /etc/exports
>    /localhome   -maproot=0    beta

seems OK, maybe try adding the -alldirs switch
  /localhome   -maproot=0 -alldirs beta

>3) /etc/rc.conf
>
>hostname="mizar.cigb.edu.cu"
>ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"
>kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
>linux_enable="YES"
>moused_enable="YES"
>moused_type="auto"
>nfs_client_enable="YES"
>nfs_server_enable="YES"
>rpcbind_enable="YES"
>saver="logo"
>sendmail_enable="YES"
>sshd_enable="YES"
>usbd_enable="YES"
>moused_type="auto"
>moused_enable="YES"
>moused_port="/dev/cuaa0"
>moused_type="auto"
><snip>
>rpc_lockd_enable="YES"

This is a bit of a mess, try removing all the extra bits you don't
need.  If you are using DHCP, then make sure the hostnames match up in the
dhcpd.conf file on the server as well as /etc/rc.conf

I have the following nfs entries in my /etc/rc.conf

nfs_server_enable="YES"
rpcbind_enable="YES"
rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
rpc_statd_enable="YES"

>2) showmount -e mizar
>   Exports list on mizar:

So mizar isn't exporting anything .....  well, anything that can be seen by
the client

I get

>6) mount
>   /dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local)
>   devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
>   /dev/ad0s1d on /localhome (ufs, local, soft-updates)

Is this on the server?  If so, it should look like:

aylee% mount
/dev/da0a on / (ufs, NFS exported, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/da0f on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da0e on /usr (ufs, NFS exported, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da0g on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)

>Also:
>
>1) I'm sure I'm mounting as root.
>2) As you can see both machines know the route for the other.

Does the client have the following in /etc/rc.conf ?

nfs_client_enable="YES"
nfs_client_flags="-n 4"
rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
rpc_statd_enable="YES"

cheers,
Rob

--
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

This is random quote 649 of a collection of 1273

Distance from the centre of the brewing universe:
[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian

Public Key fingerprint = 6219 33BD A37B 368D 29F5  19FB 945D C4D7 1F66 D9C5