Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:30:15 +1030
From:      Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Justin Hawkins <justin@tardis.mx.com.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serial boot prompt messages and a modem

On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 05:38:35PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:

 > > Hmm, last time I checked, they were just 'serial ports'.
 >
 > Nope.  The significance is determined by the software, and you're stuck
 > with the fact that the first serial port is the console port.  End of
 > story.  (Note: if we don't make some assumption about which port will be
 > the console, how do you expect the software to work out which one it
 > "should" use?)

Insist that consoles be cabled-in with "real" cables, and use the first
port we find with DCD asserted as the console, falling back to COM1 if
we can't find any ports with DCD (indicating that someone has failed to
follow our cabling insistence)

    - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton@internode.com.au (W)