Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 16:13:37 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      John K <john@volvo.se>
To:        slava <sl@zeus.dnt.md>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [off-topic] DF bit and IP

Hi,=20
A dont fragment bit should be set only when the application "at the other=
=20
end" isn=B4t able to puzzle the packets together, so AFAIK , setting DF=20
bits is an application specific matter. Also, you shouldn=B4t write a=20
program that cannot=20
defragment packets, as it behaves wired on routed network with differnet=20
MTU=B4s (eg, T/R-> Eth-> T/R )

I dont think TCP=B4s will be resent if there isn=B4t even an ICMP answer.

When a packet is to be sent out on a router interface with a smaller MTU
than the inbound interface, it is dropped by default and an ICMP packet is=
=20
sent back. (like in the example above, if a DF bit would have been set.)

hope this helped some,=20

br
John