Date:      11 Aug 2002 20:55:59 -0500
From:      Benjamin Lewis <bhlewis@wossname.net>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is anyone else having trouble with dump(8) on -current?

On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 18:07, Ian Dowse wrote:

> [replying to an old message]
>
> In message <200205141034.g4EAYCJr024857@Magelan.Leidinger.net>, Alexander Leidi
> nger writes:
> >On  7 Mai, Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> >> 	|   DUMP: slave couldn't reopen disk: Interrupted system call
> >
> >Try the attached patch.

[...]

> I was just looking at PR bin/18319 when I remembered this message.
> Many of the changes in your patch are not necessary I believe, as
> read(2) will restart after a signal by default. How about just
> fixing the open call that actually triggers the reported error? I
> suspect that many of the other cases are either impossible or
> extremely unlikely in practice. Could someone who can reproduce the
> "couldn't reopen disk" error try the following?

[...]

My apologies for not keeping up on this.  Since buying a house, time
for computer-related hobbies has evaporated! Nearly three months later,
some less essential parts of the old home network still remain in boxes.

In any case, I have been using Alex Leidinger's first patch since he
sent it to me.  At various times I have tried an unpatched dump and
the results have varied from fairly good (only 1 out of 6 filesystems
failing each night) to miserable (thousands of errors while reading
the disk) depending on the general state of -current.  As of today's
build, things were behaving on the fairly good side.

I have rebuilt dump with Ian Dowse's patch and things look good so far.
Sometimes it takes several full backup runs by Amanda before a problem
surfaces, so I will report back later in the week.  I wish I knew why
I seem to be the only one seeing this on -current!

-Ben