Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 23:54:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Saxon <saxonww@ufl.edu>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        lioux@linf.unb.br, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree 3.3.6 authentication failed?

Actually I think this is a pam.conf issue. You probably built 3.3.6 with
PAM support? This happened to me as soon as 3.3.6 came out.

try copying pam.conf from whereveryoubuildworld/etc to /etc and see if
that fixes it.

I think mergemaster would take care of this too, I dunno last time I used
it it did more harm than good.

-Will