Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:45:27 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request For Review: libc/libc_r changes to allow -lc_r

On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 09:57:49PM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> I'm all for making other changes, but I'd first like to get these
> changes committed before trying to come up with an all-encompassing
> patch set that everyone can agreee on ;-)

I certainly don't mean to discourage you.  Many of us have been
talking about this namespace issue without doing anything about it for
a long time.  I'm glad someone takes some step.

I just want to be sure that the issue is widened beyond stuff for
threads so that folks can add to namespace.h in some confidence, just
for the purpose of cleaning up the namespace.

To this end, I still favor `foo' over `_foo' in library source files
(reasons of ugliness and porting).  Clearly there is not a simple
approach that will cover all cases.

sigaction is a bad example -- it doesn't need to be hidden (although
it has to be specially handled with threads).  kevent is not a great
example.  Only FreeBSD has kevent currently.  However, I don't
particularly want `_kevent' littered through library sources.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org