Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 17:33:37 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Jean-Pierre H. Dumas" <jphdumas@yahoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        jphdumas@oz.igh.cnrs.fr
Subject:   2.2.8 or 3.1/3.2 for a safe/reliable server ?

I hope I will not get too many people upset by asking
such a question...

I have to install a mail server (SMTP to the Internet,
POP3 or IMAP4 to the users using Netscape or Eudora 4.x), on our
ethernet, this will be linked to the
world through an ISDN connection at first, then
a leased line once the tests satisfy all requirements.

This will be the first computer on the network to talk
to the world thru Internet, currently the net is closed
for safety reasons.

I have chosen FreeBSD over Linux for various reasons,
(In fact I am still open to remarks about this choice)
But now I am facing the worst, use the "rock solid"
2.2.8, (I have the Walnut Creek CDROM), or begin
straight with 3.1 (I have a snapshot in the "FreeBSD
Toolkit CDRM set : CD_VERSION = 3.1-19990327-STABLE)
And I have 3.2 in back order.

As this is a very important test for the company,
I can't make a single mistake as far as safety and
reliability are concerned.
My only protection from raw Internet will be the
Cisco 801 router that I will have to install.

If the experiment is going OK, then I will have to
setup a FTP server, for internel use, and a WEB server,
still for internel use ('Will be too the beta of the
Web site hosted outside)

I would appreciate all educated advices, infos on
what NOT to do would be useful too.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jean-Pierre Dumas