Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2001 15:20:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, developers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FINAL REMINDER: FreeBSD Monthly Development Status Report -- Request  For Submissions

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Terry Lambert wrote:

> This might not be keeping with the philosophy, though, since most of us
> do not trust -current enough to do our PhD Thesis, Master's Project, or
> business work on it, and tend to create derivative works of -stable,
> instead...

It should be noted, of course, that for successful technology transfer, it
really good idea to target -CURRENT regardless of the ups and downs of
-CURRENT: otherwise you find your work stuck in a backwater and lost
(witness the lottery scheduling support, and many other things..).  Part
of the problem here is that often research funding waves its hands at
technology transfer, but doesn't cover the day-to-day activity of merging
and tracking a moving target, which is required to work on both Linux and
FreeBSD.