Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:03:18 -0800
From:      Lee Damon <nomad@castle.org>
To:        Maksim Yevmenkin <myevmenk@exodus.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bluetooth on IBM T30 (USB device problem)

Hi Max,

Kernel recompiled and now no more "_mtx_assert undefined" errors.
Continuing with the directions at <http://www.oook.cz/bsd/bluetooth.html>:

When I press the T30's bluetooth button I get the known USB problem,
but never see the ubt0 device defined.  Instead of getting

ubt0: vendor 0x0a12 product 0x0001, rev 1.10/5.25, addr 2
ubt0: Interface 0 endpoints: interrupt=0x81, bulk-in=0x82, bulk-out=0x2
ubt0: Interface 1 (alt.config 5) endpoints: isoc-in=0x83, isoc-out=0x3;
      wMaxPacketSize=49; nframes=6, buffer size=294

I get dead silence.  Grep'ing for it in dmesg renders:

: || tylendel.castle.org [8] ; dmesg | grep ubt
Preloaded elf module "/boot/kernel/ng_ubt.ko" at 0xc06e60a8.

I am presuming pressing the bluetooth button is like adding a bluetooth
USB device but I am lacking in actual real knowledge here.  Their
documentation has things like "Power on the BDC by pressing Bluetooth power
switch if the Bluetooth LED is off." (BDC = Bluetooth Daughter Card).
When I press the button the LED does not come on.  If I press and
hold the button the LED will eventually flash once and then I get the
"uhub2: device problem, disabling port 1" message on the console yet again.

In searching IBM's documentation I found that they have updated firmware
for the BDC, but you have to be running windows to install it. :/

Kernel source was sup'd Monday evening, US Pacific time.  Bluetooth
bundle is ngbt-fbsd-20030305.tar.gz.

I went ahead and tried to run rc.bluetooth start ubt0 in debug mode
and got pretty much what you'd expect when the device isn't there:

+ logger=/usr/bin/logger -i -s -p user.err
+ kldstat=/sbin/kldstat
+ kldload=/sbin/kldload
+ sysctl=/sbin/sysctl
+ ngctl=/usr/sbin/ngctl
+ hcseriald=/usr/sbin/hcseriald
+ hccontrol=/usr/sbin/hccontrol
+ hci_debug_level=3
+ l2cap_debug_level=3
+ [ 2 -lt 2 ]
+ startstop=start
+ shift
+ dev=ubt0
+ shift
+ load_module ng_bluetooth
+ module=ng_bluetooth
+ shift
+ /sbin/kldstat -n ng_bluetooth
+ [ 1 -ne 0 ]
+ /sbin/kldload ng_bluetooth
+ [ 0 -ne 0 ]
+ load_module ng_hci
+ module=ng_hci
+ shift
+ /sbin/kldstat -n ng_hci
+ [ 1 -ne 0 ]
+ /sbin/kldload ng_hci
+ [ 0 -ne 0 ]
+ load_module ng_l2cap
+ module=ng_l2cap
+ shift
+ /sbin/kldstat -n ng_l2cap
+ [ 1 -ne 0 ]
+ /sbin/kldload ng_l2cap
+ [ 0 -ne 0 ]
+ load_module ng_btsocket
+ module=ng_btsocket
+ shift
+ /sbin/kldstat -n ng_btsocket
+ [ 1 -ne 0 ]
+ /sbin/kldload ng_btsocket
+ [ 0 -ne 0 ]
+ ./src/share/examples/netgraph/bluetooth/rc.bluetooth stop ubt0
+ hook=hook
+ expr ubt0 : ubt\([0-9]\{1,\}\)
+ unit=0
+ [ -z 0 ]
+ setup_stack ubt0 hook
+ dev=ubt0
+ shift
+ hook=hook
+ shift
+ /usr/sbin/ngctl mkpeer ubt0: hci hook drv
ngctl: send msg: No such file or directory
+ exit 1

nomad

> Lee Damon wrote:
> > first pass at trying to follow Pav's directions.  I get as far as trying
> > to run rc.bluetooth and get the following in syslog:
> >
> > Mar 26 11:18:34 tylendel kernel: link_elf: symbol _mtx_assert undefined
> > Mar 26 11:18:34 tylendel nomad[576]: Failed to load ng_btsocket
>
> your kernel options do not match options in Makefile. please
>
> 1) edit snapshot Makefile's for the modules and remove
>     -DWITNESSxxx and -DINVARIANTxxx
>
> or
>
> 2) add options WITNESS, options WITNESS_SKIPSPIN,
>     options INVARIANTS and options INVARIANTS_SUPPORT to
>     your kernel config.
>
> this is an intergration issue. i use this option to catch
> locking bugs. once code is commited this will be resolved
> automatically. some people choose to disable them because
> it improves performance.
>
> thanks,
> max

nomad
 -----------                       - Lee "nomad" Damon -          \
play: nomad@castle.org    or castle!nomad                          \
work: nomad@ee.washington.edu                                       \
                                 				    /\
Seneschal, Castle PAUS.                                            /  \
                "Celebrate Diversity"                             /    \