Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 23:34:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        papowell@astart.com
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD? - License Issues

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000 papowell@astart.com wrote:

> Let me try to state this as clearly as possible:
>
> If the FreeBSD project wants to distribute LPRng under the BSD
> license,  then I will give them a license to distribute it under
> the BSD license terms.  I would add the following two provisions
> in addition to standard BSD License terms:
>
> A) The copyright and version information must be able to be

> B) If modifications are made to this distribution then this must

> What is wrong with retaining the ability to display copyright
> information from the command line options?  What undue burden does
> it place on commercial users of FreeBSD?  And if they modify the
> code,  wouldn't it be good Systems Engineering Practice to have
> some way to verify that?

Patrick,

Your LPRng is a good, solid software, and you are very forthcoming with
the license issues - I think, based on what you just said, we shouldn't
have any license-related objections.

However, there are other arguments in this discussion that are valid
concerns (things like size, compatibility with our (t)rusty lpd and
other OS's lpd, etc..).

IMHO, if we (FreeBSD) want to handle this properly, we simply should focus
on technical issues, now that the license issues are gone, and make the
judgement based on technical merits, not politics.

And IMHO importing LPRng offers more benefits than drawbacks (if any).
Similar scenarios happened to other, "traditional" (=antiquated) programs
- some of them came to the tree from external maintainers that developed
newer, enhanced versions (most of the stuff in contrib), some others (like
test, csh, ntp) are complete replacements. We could do the same with
LPRng.

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------