Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 18:02:58 +0200
From:      Christian Helms <chris@helmsnet.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Memory hole ?????

Hello ,
can anyone help me ? strange things happen when I try to
install freeBSD 3.1 on my system (P100, FIC Board with 64MB RAM, Award
BIOS from '95).
After putting the 2nd install disk in, the computer hangs. when I
reduce my memory to 32 MB, everything goes fine. I also checked the
other 32 MB and there weren't any problems. As I want to use my full
64 MB RAM, I tried to find any BIOS settings for the memory. So, when I
enable the 'Memory Hole At 15MB Addr.', I can install and boot BSD
without problems. Could anyone please explain me what this setting
means ? And is there another way to get rid of the problem because with this
setting I cannot boot my other operating systems ?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

mailto:chris@helmsnet.de