Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 02:05:30 -0500
From:      Tom Jackson <t_orin@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS a7m266-d dual Athlon board?

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 12:56:30AM -0400, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> Any problems with the Asus a7m266-d dual Athlon board?   I actually want
> to run it with just one XP processor but I want the ECC and this chipset
> is one of the few to run with ECC and an Athlon it appears.

I'm running this board with 2-MPs and 2Gig of ECC. For me, the board is rock
solid and has not given me any trouble.

> I currently have Abit KG7 board but I get random hangs when it starts to
> get busy -- not heat as far as I can tell -- well ventilated and the air
> coming out is not very warm at all.  Tonight I was "dump"ing a 3 gig
> partition with a full -0 dump to another disk and it hung up. I have 2
> KG7 boards and both exhibit this behavior, though the less busy one not
> as often.  This has the AMD 761 with the VIA 686B southbridge.  I don't
> have proof but am guessing some sort of incompatibility here.

If you plan to make use of the CMI8738 audio chip (sounds good) don't buy
the iPanel to monitor system parameters because its update timer totally
messes the sound. Also running stable, invoking 'sysctl -s' causes a panic.
Not sure why.

Anyhow, good luck,

Tom