Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 2010 16:52:08 -0600
From:      Dale Scott <dalescott@shaw.ca>
To:        Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RE: ZFS woes

=3E=3E wiped out the firt mb=3B i used sysinstall to create a fbsd=A0sli=
ce=3B wiped
=3E=3E it out again=3B booted knoppix to create an EFI / GPT=3B booted i=
nto
=3E=3E opensolaris and created a zpool (v14)=2C but nothing=2C nothing=A0=

=3E=3E did the=A0trick=2E

I was doing a vanilla fbsd install recently using a couple re-claimed 25=
0GB IDE drives=2E The install completed without errors=2C but after rebo=
ot GEOM complained bitterly about the secondary GPT table on the boot dr=
ive being corrupted or invalid=2C and unrecoverable corrupted or invalid=
 GPT tables on the 2nd drive=2E By trying something like above=2C I was =
able to get the system drive to rebuild the secondary GPT table=2C but n=
othing worked on the second drive=2E Google told me a targeted approach =
was technically possible (by calculating exactly where a specific drive =
stores its GPT metadata and zeroing just that bit)=2C but also that the =
broader solution of zeroing out the entire drive would be faster for me =
than figuring out the calculation (about 18 hrs to zero the entire drive=
=2C at least it was mostly while sleeping)=3A =22dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D=
/dev/ad3 bs=3D64K=22 (no idea if the block size is optimal or even=A0rel=
evant)=2E

Dale Scott