Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 1999 23:10:30 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        fredrik.carlen@telia.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Group problems

On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 10:25:58AM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 1999 fredrik.carlen@telia.com wrote:
>

> > Hello!
> >
> > I've put myself in the ' wheel ' group by adding my user name to the first line
> > in /etc/groups:
> >
> > wheel:*:0:root,leonis
> >
> > Now I can su, but not use reboot or halt...
> > Does anybody know what the problem is?
> > The reboot command GID is wheel, and so is halt's...
>
> you must execute the programs as root, however if you
> include yourself in the 'operator' group you'll be
> able to use shutdown as a normal user.

Hmm, didn't know that. Why, though? reboot(8) can't be run as a
normal user and the only difference I can see between the two is
that shutdown(8) broadcasts a "System going down" warning. Is this
just an historical thing or is there a more subtle reason?

> -Alfred

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.