Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 20:00:10 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.ru>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        junker@jazz.snu.ac.kr, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EUC locales and XF86 3.2 for 2.2R?

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, John Fieber wrote:

> I'm just getting my feet wet in the FreeBSD l10n/i18n stuff, but
> I have discovered that to use an EUC or UTF locale, you must link
> with -lxpg4.  Digging through the mailing list archives, I found
> a some messages the decision was made to remove >8-bit locale
> support from libc, but I didn't follow up and find the discussion
> of why.  Could anyone involved in the decision provide a quick
> summary?

Most of applications use 8bit wide characters now, so they are
almost ready (with minimal modifications) to be POSIXly localized
if locale is 8bits wide too. It means that standard FreeBSD localized
programs can't work with 16bit wide chars/locale in any case, because they
require major rewritting to support such characters.

You can add -lxpg4 legally only if you are sure that your program
support 16bit wide characters. If amount of 16bit wide programs will be
bigger than amount of 8bit wide programs, we can make xpg4 mode as
default and use something like -l8bit for 8bit wide programs.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@null.net>